Thursday, October 13, 2011

guilt and the relentless pursuit of 'betterness'

is there hope for us?

or are we caught in a perpetual cycle of of mediocrity?

there are things that need to be changed - decisions to be made and backed up

something about an old self dying and a new self being put on

...

but realistically, it feels as though we can't even make up our minds

with our words we acknowledge it

yet with our actions we deny it

...

we want to be better

we need to be better

...

but this guilt

it permeates and infects

distorts and weakens

...

is there hope for us?

can we look back one day having changed?

...

defeatist thinking is too easy

'why should we even try at all?'

...

has my faith grown small?

God, if ever we needed you - we need you now

I think we're still figuring out that we're naked and removed from the garden

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you know... It's hard. All I want to do is the will of the Living God, but whenever I go to act on it, the "Adam" in me says,"Hang on Sinner! You can't do that! You're a Sinner!" I hear His voice, I feel his nudge, but there is such inner conflict. Yet, through all my sinning, the ebb and flow of good and bad, I know the Lord has not forsaken me. He does not give up, even when I have. Guilt is powerful. I have and have had a lot of it. But my Savior and yours, Jesus Christ, God the Father, and the One who is with us until the Day, is almighty and is a destroyer of sin in any form. In that I take solace. I also know Tyson, the time of talking the talk, for me anyway, is coming to an end. There is an urgency. May God bless you my brother.

Chris

Nalanda said...

"is there hope for us?
can we look back one day having changed?"

Yes. Amen!

lasting//impressions said...

This really spoke to me today. Something I definitely needed to read. Thank you.

Unknown said...

That makes me very happy to hear.