Friday, November 25, 2011

what time is it? (guest post)

a guest post from one, Ryan Mulligan

Check what time it is. Right now look at the time on your computer, iphone, ipad, iclock and remember it.

Next, ask yourself how much you have. Have you been blessed this year? No doubt your answer will be based on the success of your schooling, career, relationships, sporting activities, family life and so on. Many of us would not measure our blessings on our opportunity to drink enough water, drink clean water, or not spend up to three hours a day fetching water to drink.

Are you female? If so, did you know that in most developing countries women are the ones responsible for gathering water for their families? Imagine the difficulties you would have attending school as a young girl if you spent up to three hours a day retrieving that water. Imagine if your school was not equipped with a bathroom separate from a boy’s bathroom. Imagine if you were required to stay home from school once a week, every month because there were no facilities to give you privacy.

Did you flush the toilet today? On average a toilet uses 1.6 liters of water or more for every flush. In Mozambique, the average person uses 1.3 liters of water per day. You would use that 1.3 liters for all sanitation, cooking, drinking and any other needs you may have.

Every day, 2 million tons of human waste is disposed in to waterways.

In developing countries 70 percent of industrial waste is dumped, untreated into waterways, where those women and girls we spoke of earlier, return it to their families to drink.

Now look at the time. How long did it take you to read this? After you’ve done your quick math think about this… every 20 seconds a child dies as a result of a water related illness. How many children have died in the time it took you to read this?

Are you outraged? Are you experiencing the same pain that God experiences every 20 seconds? This isn’t just about leaving the water running while you brush you teeth. This is the death of God’s created children that were made in the same image you were. I long for Christians to unite in their outrage and empathy. I say empathy because it demands action. Action at the injustices these numbers show. After all, our scripture demands it:

Matthew 25: 34-40
 34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
 40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’


There is a worship song that has a line: “Break my heart for what breaks yours”

Look at the time again…

No comments: