Thursday, November 3, 2011

tea is the catalyst for thoughts (a guest post)

another guest post by Nalanda Barber


Mayor of Casterbridge: possibly one of the most sobering books I’ve read in a while. Thomas Hardy can write tragedies, let me tell you.

And I say ‘sobering’ instead of ‘tragic’ because I felt the weight and sadness of the world, and of life itself, not of one man. Life is hard. It wrecks people. It ruins them, breaks them, steals from them, destroys them and eventually kills them.

Brutal.

So many things in philosophy bring me back to the Fall. Milton’s Paradise Lost will always have a special fondness to me – God used that, once, to restore to me faith I had lost sight of. Life and its brokenness makes sense because of Genesis 3. But God is good, and the Bible does not end in Genesis 3.

It ends in hope.



 then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away 

now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them

they will be his people and God himself will be with them and be their God

the old order of things has passed away

He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”



I think it’s called Revelation for a reason.

No comments: