Thursday, September 10, 2009

goodbye

just starting into another book (far too many on the go - but hey..) called essential church by Rainer & Rainer.

the premise is this: many people no longer view Church as essential to their lives, why is this?

they listed off the top 10 reasons why people said they 'walked':
1) simply wanted a break from church
2) church members seemed judgmental or hypocritical
3) moved to college and stopped attending church
4) work responsibilities prevented me from attending
5) moved too far away from the church to continue attending
6) became too busy though still wanted to attend
7) didn't feel connected to the people in my church
8) disagreed with the church's stance on political or social issues
9) chose to spend more time with friends outside the church
10) was only going to church to please others

as a Pastor, none of these surprise me - actually most I've heard from dear friends.

many of my peers have walked, citing any number of reasons - few have stayed.

I am saddened at the lack of my generation's presence.

why did you leave? when are you coming back?

be the change you desire to see.

I know you think I'm daft. I know you think I'm lame - but I would guess that you and I agree more than we disagree.

either way, I hope you're living life to its fullest. I hope you're loving Jesus. I hope you're loving people.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

True enough and most have been heard more recently. Is it simply walking away or running away? It seems church is only there if 'you need it', which is sad. It's always reassuring to know God didn't leave or forsake us. Why are we walking or running?

Unknown said...

I don't know what it is about our generation, Tyson....being raised in the church myself and knowing the truth about attending and being part of it...and I beleive it wholeheartedly...but I must admit that a lot of those reasons have come to mind when I don't "feel/want" to go....is it because I've packed my life too full with work and friends and "getting things done" - because this is the age and life season that I'm in - that I haven't made room for God too. I look at my life 10 years ago and God was central - He was the first and the last person I talked to every day...but not any more - I talk to Him alot but He's not immediate focus like He use to be...
as far as our generation goes - we want to know what's in it for me. Not how can I make a difference but what will I get out of it....I fight this tendency of thinking everyday....we also want to keep the door open incase something else comes up that is better or bigger....what could be better or bigger than my God?
no anwsers here but a constant pull between what I know I should do (and most of the time want to do) and then the other pull off not caring about anything because it's easier....maybe that's it....

canadianhumility said...

I don't think being a non-Church attender is any easier than being one. It is still aggravating.

By leaving the church, you realize that the community that you loved and participated in - the people that you worshiped God with - only loved you on Sunday mornings.

And that was the only time you loved them back.

And that hurts.

Because many people leave the church knowing that it isn't interested in changing, because they crutch themselves up on a belief that God doesn't change and the church has managed to become the realization of God.

And progressive churches - those interested in changing, knowing that the Kingdom of God has not yet been realized on his earthly creation - become the churches that are written off for adopting things without thought. Even though progressives tend to be the most contemplative people I know.

Leaving the church isn't easier. It is torment - just without being forced to sing crappy songs on Sunday mornings.

And without sharing false love with people that don't care about your hurts and concerns.

mud_rake said...

I was recently asked why I had left a religious discussion group. I replied,' It's like a shoe: you know when it fits you well and i felt a bit of a pinch.'

Can you accept, as a pastor, that people may actually not need the 'services' of a religious body?

Tyson said...

sarah: thank you for your comment. I appreciate your honesty and willingness to struggle openly. I think you hit it when you said about waiting for something bigger or better.

canadianhumility: you're a good friend and I look forward to our ongoing conversations.

mud_rake: your quote is intriguing. to answer your question more accurately - which 'services' are you referring to?