Friday, March 26, 2010

when you fast...

*disclaimer*
this post is not targeted toward any individual. I, in no way intend to single anyone out.

this may be a sensitive post for some, others could not care less.

we are currently in the season of Lent, a period in the liturgical year that begins on Ash Wednesday and leads up to Easter. for many, Lent is a time to reflect on Jesus - his life, death and resurrection. self-denial has traditionally been a part of the lenten practice, with fasting being prominent. (fasting = going without food and possibly water/ or going without certain kinds of food for a time)

now, hear my heart before you read any further. I believe this lenten practice to be good and that those choosing to recognize this time in different ways have pure intentions.

with that said - I don't want to hear about what you're giving up for Lent. honestly, I don't think it's any of my business and I think it's goes against Jesus' teaching as you tell everybody about it.

there is a teaching of Jesus found in the Bible in the book of Matthew, chapter 6:
"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

I am not suggesting that there are some flaunting themselves around with their lenten fasts - but I do think that they may be missing some of the point. this is a heart issue.

what is the motivation behind your fast? to prove to yourself (or anyone else) that you can go without? - great! but that's more about will power than anything else.

if your motivation truly is pure - keep your practice that way and do not cheapen it by having to alert anyone around to your great sacrifice.

God knows your heart.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I say any one who fasts for lent should read over Isaiah chapter 58. Its such an awe inspiring section.
Our lights shining forth, God answering us when we call, God guiding us, the old forgotten places being built up again. :D
My Jewish term for the day, and possibly the most important phrase in the entire bible (not even exaggerating): Ve'ahavta.
It means, "You shall love". A command. It starts off both the loving God, and the loving neighbour commands.
On "Ve'ahavta" hang all the scriptures. Without love, all is void.

canadianhumility said...

I think I like that book that you're reading Tyson. I think I'm liking it a lot.

I'm curious what you've thought of doing fasting with no intention other than to fast. With no goal but to display one's total humanity compared to God. With no desire to gain anything from it of any sort.

That idea, which I thought I've understood before, makes no sense to me now. How is it possible to even conceive of doing this? How easily I can fit fasting (indeed, every aspect of my existence) into my western-understanding of gifting and receiving. Such an idea is humbling - humbling beyond what my worldview can begin to comprehend. How insufficient one feels as a result...

Dustin - I also like that word... Ve'ah7avta. It brings to mind another one that I have recently learned. Tzedakah – the obligation to do justice. Incredible words.

Karen said...

Amen... I couldn't have said it any better!