Friday, June 12, 2009

restoration & reconciliation


good day...it's Friday, it's sunny, it's warm and the week's winding down. I should be kicking back and enjoying...but I've got a bone to pick. it's in response to some comments I received about another post: http://ineloquentanthem.blogspot.com/2009/04/jesus-wife-beaters.html


after some lengthy, challenging and inspiring conversations with friends regarding this post - it was brought to my attention that I did not come across with much grace or understanding. I agree - that may have been how I came across.


here's my heart (which probably was not obvious in the wife-beater post):

- it absolutely decimates my heart to think of the pain that people have received at the hands of the Church. there are countless stories of friends who have been greatly wronged by seemingly well-intentioned people.


I am sorry.


I am sorry that happened to you. I am sorry that people who say they love Jesus wronged you in such a way.


I am truly sorry.


but that is not the bone I pick - it's with those who have handed out the hurt that brings us to this point.


For many people who happen to regularly attend institutions called churches, they believe it is their God-given right to allocate punishment to anyone as they see fit - attempting to pick the proverbial speck out of others' eyes. typically, this has not been done in love (yes, I keep coming back to that).


here's my submission: if our intention when pointing out specks is not done with restoration & reconciliation in mind as the ultimate-goal, then it's best left undone. I'm not even going to play the 'plank-card' on this one - that should be common sense enough.


let me explain.

- if you are not willing to do everything in your power to help your brother or sister be restored and reconciled, then shut up.

- if you are not willing to humbly walk down those awkward, painful roads with your brother or sister in love, then take your well-intentioned (or are they?) motives and shove 'em (in your pocket).

- and mostly, if you are not willing to be honest with yourself, your brother or sister, and with God about your own lacking and need to be reconciled and restored, then...enough said.



...may we be people who humbly extend to all those in need the restoration and reconciliation that is freely offered in Jesus and be willing to walk with them...because, after all - we need this as much or more than they do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like it would be much simpler to just, I don't know, not be a Christian.

Tyson said...

I agree, it probably would be.

canadianhumility said...

Definitely, and without a doubt. And I recommend everybody try it - if they come back to their faith, then they will be much more honest and aware of how they exist with the concept of God. This allows for real transformation.

I like your post. This directs the blame, as it always is, in two directions - both the "victims" and the "perpetrators". In the interests of reconciliation and reconnection through relationship, a multi-individual phenomenon, then all parties involved must consider themselves at fault for "wife-beating."

I leave your atonement theology, tossed in the very end, to stand on its own. I understand it as best as I am allowing myself to. Questions stand about my belief in it - but that is ok. Assuming it is true though, it speaks volumes to the importance of reconciliation of Christ and Man. Still, I think Jesus was a man... more than we know, perhaps.

But thats a very different discussion.

Dallas Verity said...

Much simpler, but not as fulfilling perhaps. Imagine, if we have the love for one another and compassion that Anthem blogs about... how fulfilling and prosperous our relationships would be. Not simple in any way, or easy, but much greater.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately the way is narrow and we have chose to observe a faith that isn't easy. I'm glad being a Christian is hard.

canadianhumility said...

I am going to rescind a bit of my earlier statement, if only because I think that we have to make sure that we aren't imagining the "non-Christian" existence as being simple. Christianity is, at its heart, a story of broken relationship and humanity that doesn't achieve its ideals. This is also the story of human existence.

Christianity isn't hard.

Human existence is hard.

Perhaps they (Christianity and human existence) are the same thing. The same story. Similar results and experiences. With "different" methods of reacting.

I am also glad that "Christianity" is hard - but I know that it is only hard out of my own humanity, and the humanity of the world in which I exist. It isn't a simple existence. And attempts at reconciliation and reconnection are not monopolized by Christology, but by humanity. Perhaps, in the spirit of greater equality, by the entirety of Creation.

Anonymous said...

Great discussion. I appreciate the feedback.

The way of Christ certainly is narrow. And incredibly difficult. But I've found that in the past few years, as I've slowly weened myself off of church and Christianity, my love for God, my love for my fellow man, my love for creation... all of these things have increased. Gone are the mindless squabbles over Jesus wife-beaters and what type of worship music is best and how vital doctrine is to salvation and all of that silliness. All of the baggage that comes with being a Christian -- the guilt, the petty fighting, the superiority complex -- all of it is gone. Instead, I'm free to love my fellow man. Buddhist or Muslim, gay or straight, whatever. It's all irrelevant -- which is precisely how Christ intended it to be.

I marched in a gay pride parade today. I'm heterosexual, but several of my friends are in committed same-sex relationships, and seeing them celebrate their love was beautiful. If Tyson marched in a gay pride parade, he would lose his job. And that's why Christianity is dying.

Tyson said...

new name for the blog...mindless squabbles? what do you think? yeesh...thanks 'anonymous'

I do, however, truly appreciate your desire to love. Many Christians would do well to do the same.

Dallas Verity said...

I strongly agree that the message of Christ centering around love, but 'anonymous', we are also called to the church... again, not easy, but we are called to be the church, not "ween" ourselves from it. I want to challenge this idea and say that if we don't consider ourselves to be part of the (not a) church, then can we really be Christians?

Props on the love towards the gay community. The church sucks generally at that. We tend to lean towards the Truth part and become known far more for what we are against then for what we are for (Grace). Jesus was both/and. Our generation (Anthem and I {are we the same gen tman?}) have tended to go to heavy handed on the Grace side and forget the Truth side.