Friday, December 18, 2009

the stories we live

so, I'm reading this book by Donald Miller called, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. It's actually the book I was helping to promote in a past blog post.

following that post, I had to do far more apologizing than I thought I would - apparently people (few as they may be) gave me far more credit than I'm due. a few actually took me at my word and believed I had co-authored a book with Donald Miller, which I still feel horrible about to this day, though I laugh quietly about it as well.

enough about that.

as I'm reading this new book, the concept of 'story' has been slapping me in the face - mostly because that is what the book is about.

here is a snippet:
"The ambitions we have will become the stories we live. If you want to know what a person's story is about, just ask them what they want. If we don't want anything, we are living boring stories, and if we want a Roomba vaccum cleaner, we are living stupid stories. If it won't work in a story, it won't work in life."

thoughts? reactions?

1 comment:

benyamen said...

Line up one more thing we have in common. So you suckered a few folks too eh? I actually have one friend who for months believed that I co-authored the book until being the computer genius he is, he clicked on one of the hyperlinks. Miller is another one of my favourites and I'm looking forward to reading this one too. Unfortunately two small children make time short.

That being said, I completely agree that story is essential to our lives and especially in the culture we live in. We're coming through an era which was so scientific and fact based that people are turning back to narratives to make sense of and to try to pull back into real life all of the seemingly unrelated "facts" that we've been given about the world we live in. It couldn't be more true or more important to recognize it than in the way we share the gospel. It's not just a bunch of objective "facts" it's a broad story we're all a part of whether we realize it or not.